Data on Information Technology in the Everyday Lives of Citizens
Information technology in work and studies | Information technology in leisure time | Attitudes towards and notions of information technology | Access to information technology | Effectiveness of information technology | Information society | Search FSD database | Links related to information technology
Information technology is increasingly pervasive in people's work, studies, and leisure time. The phenomenon is described for example by terms such as ever-present or omnipresent information technology, and everyday or ubiquitous information society.
This web page gives information on data related to information technology archived at the FSD. Most of them are surveys, and some chart information society from a broader perspective whereas others only contain individual variables pertaining to information technology. The data archived at the FSD are freely available for research and teaching purposes. More information on how to order data.
All quantitative datasets archived at the FSD have study descriptions in English. More detailed information on the variables of each dataset can be found in the codebooks attached to each survey. However, there are codebooks in English only for those datasets which have already been translated into English. More datasets are translated on request.
- Employment Surveys of Tampere University Graduates have charted how much university studies develop the computer skills needed in working life.
- FSD2133 ISSP 2005 : Work Orientations III : Finnish Data includes for instance information on how much Finns use automatic data processing equipment at work.
- FSD2010 Information Society in Pirkanmaa Region 2004 explored the changing practices in work.
- FSD1315 Finnish Local Government 2004 : Municipalities as Working Communities 2003 investigated how much and in which tasks municipal employees used information technology in their work.
- FSD2290 Different Kinds of Learners and Learning Materials in Web-Based Learning 2002-2003 investigated views on and experiences of web-based teaching and learning at university.
- FSD1177 Information Society, Information Work and Changes in the Occupational Structure 2000 provides data on the characteristics of Finnish employees' work and work-related use of information technology.
- FSD1211 Media Education in Finnish Primary Education 1998 studied media education in Finnish primary and lower secondary schools, concentrating on media teaching content and practices and for example teachers' attitudes towards the use of computers in teaching.
- FSD1045 Change in Occupational Structure and Social Status in Finland 1994 and FSD1139 Change in Occupational Structure and Social Status in Finland 1988 contain questions on using computers in work.
- FSD1081 EVA Survey on Finnish Values and Attitudes 1988 asked whether the level of information technology teaching in schools is adequate.
- FSD2484 Finnish Youth Survey 2009 contained a few questions covering how much young people use the Internet and for what.
- FSD2614 Computer Gaming in the Everyday Life of Women 2008 investigated Finnish women's computer gaming habits, interpersonal interaction while gaming and other people's reactions to the gaming
- Use of Online Services and Information Technology in Tampere survey series charted the respondents' use of information technology, the Internet, and city online services in Tampere.
- FSD2010 Information Society in Pirkanmaa Region 2004 investigated the role of information and communications technology in people's social life.
- In the 2002 survey of the longitudinal study FSD2076 Life Course 1971 - 2002, the respondents indicated to what extent computers and games gave meaning to their lives.
- FSD2053 Police Barometer 2001 contains variables related to Internet data security and Internet use.
- FSD1229 Finnish Lifestyles Survey 1995 included questions on IT-related hobbies and the use of information networks in banking, information, communication, and ordering services.
- Science Barometers from different years have probed how interested Finns were in computers, the Internet, and the development of information technology. The respondents have also been queried whether they believed computers will reach human intelligence levels in the near future.
- FSD2719 Children's Media Barometer 2011 focused on media use and experiences of media education of Finnish children aged 7-11.
- FSD2217 Finnish Youth Survey 2006 charted for instance whether young people accepted downloading music from the Internet without paying.
- FSD2041 Youth Consumer Cultures in Information Society 2001 explored the opinions of young people aged between 16 and 20 on consumption, information society, communications technology, and the environmental impacts of consumption.
- FSD1114 Family Barometer 2000 : Child-Rearing and FSD1180 Family Barometer 1999 : Implementation of Parenting canvassed whether the responsibility for teaching information technology skills to children belonged to men or women, parents or professional educators, and whether the use of information technology should be taught in kindergartens.
- FSD1241 Finland 1999 : Consumer Habits and Lifestyle charted whether people considered Internet connection a necessary commodity at the turn of the millennium.
- FSD1126 Fears and Anxieties 1999 examined whether the respondents considered it likely that the collapse of information technology systems would cause serious catastrophes all over the world.
- Eurobarometers enable comparisons between different countries and over time. From 1995 onwards, the barometers have regularly charted the possession and use of various communications equipment, and how interested they are in various online services. From 2000 onwards, the surveys have also included questions on where the EU citizens use the Internet and for what purposes. Eurobarometer trend questions are presented on the web pages of the German Data Archive GESIS.
- The library surveys of the Finnish Local Government 2004 project (FSD2145, FSD2146, FSD2147) include evaluations of computer and Internet services provided by municipal libraries in 1996, 1999, and 2002.
- FSD1321 Living Conditions of Social Assistance Recipients and Social Work 1996 charted the social assistance recipients' possession of consumer durables, such as computer and mobile phone.
- FSD2533 Virtual Youth Work 2007: Youth Survey and FSD2534 Virtual Youth Work 2007: Parents' Survey studied young people's use of the Internet and the social virtual world Habbo Hotel, and online youth counselling carried out in Habbo Hotel by the Netari.fi project.
- FSD2273 Finnish Local Government 2004 : Inhabitants 2004 investigated whether inhabitants were familiar with the online services provided by the municipality, whether they had given feedback on municipal services over the Internet, and whether online voting should be introduced in municipal elections.
- FSD1042 Parliamentary Elections 1999 and FSD1260 Finnish National Election Study 2003 probed whether Finns had followed the elections and news related to them in the Internet, and to what extent they had received information relevant to their voting decision from the candidate selectors in the Internet or from the web pages of political parties or candidates.
- FSD1269 Foreign Students in Finland's Higher Education Institutions 2002 contains information on the role of the Internet in foreign students' social interaction and integration into Finnish society.
- FSD2010 Information Society in Pirkanmaa Region 2004 charted the role of information and communications technology in people's lives, and their attitudes towards the development of information society.
- FSD2015 Finnish Youth Survey 2003 revealed for instance that young people think the term "information technology generation" describes their generation most aptly.
- FSD1208 Regional Differences in the Information Society 2001 explored for example media literacy, belonging to information society, and the authenticity of Internet-transmitted experiences.
- FSD2015 Finnish Youth Survey 2000 included topics covering Internet and information society
- FSD1177 Information Society, Information Work and Changes in the Occupational Structure 2000 investigated the Finnish employees' use of information technology and adaptation to challenges posed by information society.
- FSD0231 Flash Eurobarometer 49 : Information Society, June 1995 charted familiarity with and user experiences of various information technology equipment and services.
The surveys listed on this page are only a small sample of all data related to information technology archived at the FSD. It is therefore worthwhile to search the FSD's data catalogue, also by keywords. See also the search instructions.
- Data on the Media - a web page presenting data on the media archived at the Data Archive
- Ministry of Transport and Communications of Finland
- Science, Technology and Information Society web pages of the Statistics Finland - statistics, publications and articles related to information society and communications technology
- Information technology web pages of the European Union - documents, legislation and publications