Safety and Security
FSD holdings contain a number of data series and individual datasets suitable for research on safety and security.
There are also many datasets that contain individual questions and variables which are potentially useful to researchers of the subject. The data archived at the FSD can be downloaded free of charge from Aila Data Service, according to the conditions set for each dataset. Please note that below is listed only a sample of all data available at the Archive and we encourage you to search more datasets on the subject on Aila.
Questions and variables of quantitative datasets that have been fielded in English or translated at the FSD can be explored by browsing their codebooks or through Aila variable search. If a quantitative dataset has not yet been translated, you can request a translation free of charge. Qualitative data are only available in their original language. Where applicable, the codebook and other related material are freely accessible on the study description page of each dataset.
Recent Data Releases
- Finnish Youth Survey 2016: Additional Data from the Helsinki Region
- Parliamentary Elections 2015: Candidate Responses to Helsingin Sanomat Candidate Selector
- Presidential Elections 2012: Candidate Responses to YLE Candidate Selector
- Citizen Safety and Security 2015
- Finnish Opinions on Security Policy and National Defence 2018
- EVA Survey on Finnish Values and Attitudes Autumn 2018
- Finnish Views on Democracy and Political Issues 2017: Swedish-Speaking Finns
- School Security Survey 2016
- Finnish Views on Democracy and Political Issues 2017
- Finnish Opinions on Security Policy and National Defence 2017
- More data on Aila Data Service
- Quantitative study
- Qualitative study
FSD2861 Safety of People in Supported Housing 2012: Residents
The survey charted the views of people living in supported housing on housing safety and safety in the neighbourhood. Similar surveys were also conducted for family members of people in supported housing (FSD2862) and employees of housing units (FSD2863).
FSD2787 Safety of Children 2011
The survey was aimed at the parents/guardians of children aged under 13 and examined the safety and security of children.
FSD2502 Public Safety Survey 2009
The study investigated Finnish opinion on and experiences of policing, public safety and security, victimisation, and services in the neighbourhood.
Data in these series also include questions on the theme.
People interested in finding data on safety and security should also take a look at data available at other data archives around the world.
In Finland, the Language Bank of Finland also provides services to researchers and archives audio and video material. Services of various European social science data archives can be accessed through the website of CESSDA. The UK Data Service has, among other things, a wide variety of excellent qualitative data. Another good source of data is the German GESIS - Leibniz Institute for the Social Sciences. The extensive holdings of the American ICPSR are also well worth searching.